Frogtastic First Graders





Friday, July 15, 2011

Frames and Arrows

Happy Hot Friday!  Wow!  Is it hot where you live?  I think it is a good excuse to stay inside my air conditioned house and check out everyone's wonderful blogs! Even my kids are just laying around today because their activities were cancelled.

How many of you have Everyday Math as your math series?  I have used Everyday Math for over 13 years at two different schools, and I really like it.  I know some people dislike it, but it is my favorite time of the day.  All my lessons are on the Smartboard which I LOVE!  It was part of a professional growth plan we are required to do and was a lot of work, but so worth it!!

For those of you who do not use Everyday Math, the series introduces a concept called Frames and Arrows.  Students need to find the rule of a set of numbers (plus 5, -1, etc) and fill in missing numbers in the pattern. A majority of the class eventually understands this concept, but I always have 3 or 4 who just don't get it, no matter how much help I or our Title 1 person give them. It is a required skill at our school by the end of first grade, and they are assessed on Frames and Arrows starting at the end of
our 2nd trimester.

Here is a Frames and Arrow practice game that can be used as a file folder game or used with the pocket chart. Sorry that it is not the prettiest, most colorful document, but I seem to always be low on printer ink so I like to use black ink, then I can copy it on construction paper. Does anyone have great way to teach Frames and Arrows to those students who just don't get it?

Frames and Arrows

HERE is a google docs link in case Scribd isn't working. For those of you having success with Google Docs, can you tell me how you are embedding your docs?  I do not have the option to embed or to create a web page anymore.

Have a great weekend!
Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. Love your blog!

    http://quenchyourfirst.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Jen,
    I have a great way to do frames and arrows with a large vinyl mat that the students walk on. I'll try to make a post about it on my blog and then let you know. I'll need to take pictures or it will be too wordy.
    Deborah
    http://splitmultigradeclassroom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jen,
    I love all of your ideas. I noticed that you said you have created all of the Everyday math lessons on SMART files. Would you be willing to share your files? I am finding myself creating files every night, which has gotten to be a lot of work. I would really appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks! Monica Kane - mjkane@spasd.k12.wi.us

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,
    I just came across you frames and arrows idea. I teach everyday math in first grade and would willing to buy your smart files. Please let me know if they are available.
    Thank you,
    Robin Smith
    smithrc563@aol.com

    ReplyDelete